‘Tis the season to be jolly and also the one where you run around like a mad person trying to tick off everything on your child’s Christmas list and have palpitations when you hear the words ‘out of stock’. Remember last year it was all about the Hatchimals? Those bloody eggs had a lot to answer for and if you were one of the fortunate few to get one how long was it after they ‘hatched’ that they were abandoned by the child that wanted them more than anything in the whole world!
It’s not called the ‘silly season’ for nothing. Don’t even get me started on ‘Elf on The Shelf’ – the idea dreamed up by someone who thought us parents had nothing better to do in December than come up with mischievous things for the Elf to get up to overnight so the kids are amazed in the morning. The amount of times I’ve woken up at 2am in a hot sweat and realised I haven’t moved the Elf and spent the next 30 minutes smearing his face in mince pie and leaving the trail of leftovers across the living room floor! I have a feeling Elf might be taking a vacation back to the North Pole next year…
Talking of next year here’s a few of my Bad Mum resolutions for 2018:
- Only drink wine on a Friday (not most bedtimes)
- Put child in clean uniform daily
- Lock the bathroom door when going to the loo so I can wee in peace
- Stop skipping the pages in my child’s book at bedtime just to finish the story early
- Keep the iPad fully charged, you never know when you are going to need that Peppa Pig marathon on it
- Strive to get enough sleep so that I don’t continually put my knickers on inside out in the mornings
If these last more than a week into January I’ll have done well.
In the meantime Merry Bloody Christmas…and pass me the gin!